I don't have much to say today so I figured I'd just throw a small tip out for you. I think I'll start doing these to fill in the spaces between real updates. It's not every day that I can devote thought to a whole article about a spice. Enough preamble. Let's talk about the sifter tops you probably have on your spice jars.
You may as well throw these stupid things out because they're really not doing you any good. In general, a sifter top is used when you want to sprinkle a seasoning. If you do this, you can't measure how much you're adding. This means you can't figure out how much you used, which means you don't know how much to use next time. You also can't make a recipe that way. The sifter top is as useful as teats on a bull.
But guess what? It gets worse. You see, sprinkling your herbs and spices into a cooking pot can actually get the aroma of your food into the spice if it's particularly strong. Your delicate coriander could be tainted by hefty amounts of garlic. Your sweet cardamom could be imbued with oregano's bitterness. Even hardy spices like turmeric could be ruined by a splash of boiling curry. So ignore what André 3000 said and do not shake it like a Polaroid picture.
Get out those measuring spoons, pour things into your palm and dust off that mortar and pestle. Look at how much you're adding to your dish. Toss those sifter tops. Do right by your spice and your spice will do right by you.

No comments:
Post a Comment