It takes a LOT to steal me away from my first love. A LOT.
Having been open for less than a year, Melange is the newest arrival on Philadelphia's spice market scene. However, I can see this store outlasting them all. The first impression you get when you walk in is that things are very different. The romance of exotic spices calling to you from jars is simply not there. It looks very clean and modern. I was a skeptic at first, but owners Boris and Yumiko Ginsburgs have won me over.
First things first. The jars being out in the open is entirely for show. It doesn't make any sense to put them there. People are constantly opening jars, sticking their noses in and spreading their germs around. I'm no hypochondriac, but there's something gross about that. Plus, open air makes spices weaker. Instead, everything is pre-bagged.
"But what if I want to smell the spices?"
Well, all you have to do is approach the counter and talk to Yumiko or Boris. In fact, they will greet you as soon as you come in and will happily talk about their products. They have a genuine passion for what they're selling (that extends to the tea, but I'm a spice guy so...) and a very thorough knowledge of it to boot. I've only been twice, but both times I left feeling really good about the place and knowing a little more about spices. This is ultimately what tipped the scales for me. That sort of in depth knowledge leaves you more confident as a customer.
The POS system upfront is a sleek tablet based one. The high tech register shows how new the place is. However, this also means they embraced newer technology early on. They're on twitter and facebook and they have a very well done website where you can order spices online. I've linked to their online store before, but here's their main page.
It's a tiny store and they are still working to gain a reputation, but they've got what it takes. Their prices are really good, with most things being $2 for 2 ounces. Their selection is really good (do check out their hot peppers!), the owners really have the know-how and I just can't say enough good things about this place so I'll shut up now before this run on sentence gets too crazy. 5/5 anise stars.



No comments:
Post a Comment