Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Star of the Spice Rack



Star anise, or illicium verum, is the cool kid at school that everyone just likes. He gets good grades and is super popular without even really trying. It's like he has a strange mystique about him for no apparent reason. It's not that he's a bad guy, he's just very, very pretty.

Farmed and popular in China, India and southeast Asia, star anise has that famous licorice flavor and aroma that it shares with regular anise, but it's also the coolest looking spice hands down (which is why I use it for ratings).  In fact, its most common use is in taking stock photos of spices, even if that blend doesn't contain star anise at all.

But...  What are you making other than a mess?

The beautiful, star shaped pods are, unlike most spices, sold intact because the pod's shell contains more flavor than the seed.  It is worth noting that it has a more delicate flavor than proper anise which makes it better for marinading meats (or so I hear), which is its main use.

Anise and star anise are actually completely unrelated plants. They share a name because of the chemical they both contain that tastes like licorice.  However, star anise is cheaper than anise anise so it is used as a substitute. This all changes if you feel a need to buy whole, unbroken stars with all 8 arms.  Sorta like how you can buy whole cashews, you know, if you're that guy.

Seeing as star anise is most popular in Asia, I thought I'd give one of my favorite Asian recipes of the moment, phở.  The main flavors of the broth are cinnamon, star anise, ginger and pretty much any other spice you want. There is a vicious rumor that phở simply cannot be a vegetarian soup because it needs to be made with meat stock. Lies. It exists and it is called phở chay.  I have a legitimate Vietnamese recipe here and you won't be surprised to learn that I recommend going heavier on the spices.


Ground or whole, star anise is a must for someone looking to make Asian recipes.  You might not find much application for it in the west aside from scented candle labels and photos of impractical spice arrangements, but you won't find many spice enthusiasts who don't have it lying around.

I give it 6 out of 5 anise stars, just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment